Saving cash on clothes – and selling clothes for cash!

By Laura Dowson, BA (Hons) Illustration, 2nd year.

It is important to remember that we should always prioritise our wellbeing and bills above fashion. However, as a uni student on a budget who loves fashion, I would like to share my tips and experiences on how I make money and spend less of it on new clothes.

Use your student status to your advantage

UNiDAYS

As students, we need to accept that (although it may feel like it) Uni life does not last forever. So, we need to take advantage of as many student offers as we can. If you don’t already have a UNiDAYS account, make one. UNiDAYS is the perfect website where you can see all the companies that are offering student discount. It boasts discounts for  food and drink, entertainment, travel and fashion. The discount that I personally use the most is for ASOS, but I have my eye on a few restaurant discounts such as 40% off Zizzi Italian!

Student ID

One thing I am awful at is remembering to take my student ID with me everywhere. Wear it around your neck, keep it in your purse or wallet, just don’t forget it. Your student ID is your golden ticket to not only cheaper clothes, but cheaper buses, cheaper food and makeup around Sheffield. Even if the shop you are in doesn’t display huge posters saying ‘Student discount’, it’s always beneficial to ask just in case!

Buying and selling clothes

There is no better feeling, in my opinion, than getting rid of clothes you no longer want or wear in return for money. Decluttering not only helps my mental health but is very practical as it can make room for new items or even make it easier when moving house! Here’s how I do it.

Depop – If you have quality clothes that are branded or practically new with labels, I recommend the app Depop. I think of Depop as Instagram for buying and selling. I have made a few pounds selling unwanted Levis jeans, an ASOS coat that was too small for me and a dress I wore for one night that I felt just didn’t suit me. I have also purchased a Top Shop skirt that I had my eye on for half the price! When listing, I always make sure to be truthful when describing my item, as you get a star rating from the buyer. I usually only list items that are 20 pounds and above on Depop because they take 10% off whatever you earn, Pay Pal also takes a small percentage off.

Vinted – For less expensive and/or imperfect unwanted items, I use the Vinted app. The app does not charge you but you only get paid when the customer receives the item. I have made money by selling a pair of scuffed Top Shop boots for 10 pounds that were too small or me. To my surprise I also sold a bottle of used Rhianna’s Fenty Beauty foundation for 10 pounds as well! Selling a few unwanted items for small mounts of money really adds up and is more environmentally friendly than simply throwing them away.

Cash For Clothes – Cash For Clothes is based in Crystal Peaks Sheffield. They pay 40p per kilo for undamaged, unwanted clothes, paired footwear, bags, belts, soft toys, part used perfumes, aftershaves, body lotions, costume jewellery and make-up. Although 40p isn’t a lot of money, if you have a lot of items to get rid of that just aren’t selling, it still brings in some pennies. I have made 5 pounds from my last clear out!

Charity Shops – You can find hidden gems in Sheffield’s charity shops. A nice T shirt for 2 pounds, a book or CD for 50p? This way of shopping is the perfect way to recycle, save money and give back the charities such as Age UK and British Heart Foundation.

Make do and mend

I have saved money by simply sewing any clothes that had small holes in the seams. This method worked for our grandparents and parents, and the same principle still applies to us. If I still love the item and if it is mendable, I mend it rather than throwing it away or buying something new.

One persons trash can be another’s treasure. Happy saving!