Right to Rent Checks

Are you living in privately rented accommodation?

If so then you need to be aware that from 1st February 2016 onwards, landlords of private rental accommodation will be responsible for carrying out ‘right to rent’ checks to ensure that their tenants have the right to reside in the UK. The requirement to carry out right to rent checks applies to all adults (aged 18 and over).

Therefore all students living in private rented accommodation will need to present their original passport, or a combination of acceptable documents to prove they have the right to reside in the UK for the duration of their tenancy agreement.

International students will also have to present their visa and biometric residence permit (see List B).

Landlords are required to keep copies of the documents they check.

This will not affect students living in halls of residence as they are not subject to right to rent checks.

If you have further questions about this you can speak to an International Experience Adviser in a daily drop in appointment.