International Student Registration – November 2015

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

“What documents do I need to bring to Registration?”

You will need to bring your passport, visa – including your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card – and your SHU Student card.

Please note these must be your original documents – photocopies or electronic copies will not be accepted.

Some students may be asked to bring additional documents to Registration – if this applies to you, it will be clearly stated in your invitation email, so please read your invitation email carefully.

“I don’t have my passport and/or my visa / BRP card – what should I do?”

If you do not currently have your documents for any reason, please bring evidence of where the documents are being held.

For example, if you have sent your documents to UKVI to apply for a visa extension, please bring evidence of postage, or a letter of response from UKVI as evidence of your application.

If you have recently applied for a Shengen visa or any other type of visa, please bring evidence. For example, a letter acknowledging your application, evidence of postage such as a postal receipt, or other evidence of your application.

If your documents are held by the Police or any other agency, please bring a receipt or other documentation to evidence this, e.g. a letter of receipt from the Police/other agency.

“I have lost my passport / visa / BRP card – what should I do?”

If you have already made an application for a replacement, please bring evidence of your application to Registration.

If not, you must contact SHU International Experience Team (IET) urgently for guidance on how to apply for a replacement passport or visa, or BRP card.

If IET are assisting you with your replacement application, please bring evidence of this to Registration, e.g. IET Appointment Card or printout of emails from IET.

“I can’t attend Registration! What should I do?”

Please note that all current Tier 4 students must attend Registration unless they are in one of the following situations:

  • You are currently absent from study, or will be absent during the Registration period. This may be due to illness or other circumstances;
  • You are currently studying away from Sheffield, for example if you are conducting research at a location outside Sheffield;
  • You are in your home country completing your remaining studies, for example, writing up your Dissertation;
  • You have returned to your home country / have left Sheffield, because you have recently completed all of your required studies or;
  • You are absent for any other reason.

If any of the above applies to you, you must contact your Faculty to request an Authorised Absence – please see below for instructions on how to do this.

“How do I request an Authorised Absence if I can’t attend Registration?”

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student, or studying an English Language/TESOL course you must urgently contact your Faculty in person or by email, who will advise you.

If you are a PhD/doctoral research student, you must urgently contact your Faculty Research Administrator Office to request an Authorised Absence. Your Research Administrator will advise you.

“I am currently on Placement – what should I do?”

Please reply urgently to with your Student ID number and details of your Placement, including the date you began your Placement, the full name and address of your Placement employer, and the date your Placement ends.

We will then review your response and advise you.

“I am living outside of Sheffield and it will be difficult for me to attend Registration – what should I do?”

You must urgently respond to with full details. Please include your Student ID number and Course Title in your response. We will then advise you.

“I have recently changed my immigration status / visa type and no longer require a Tier 4 (General) student visa – what should I do?”

Please reply urgently to with details of your new immigration status / visa type. If possible, please attach electronic copies of your new visa documents – i.e. your visa ‘vignette’ and BRP card if you have one – to your email. Please include your Student ID number and Course Title in your response.

“I am a UK or EU student and believe I have been invited to Registration by mistake – what should I do?”

Please reply urgently to with details. If possible please attach a scanned, electronic copy of your UK/EU passport to your email. Please include your Student ID number in your response.

“I have other questions about Registration.”

If you have any other queries, please email, including your Student ID number and Course title in your email.