Download the breakout room activities.
Our interactive application form is still being developed, in the meantime you can apply for one of our schemes using the following links:
Student Connect (online summer scheme)
- Apply as a mentee (new incoming students only).
- Apply as a mentor (returning students or recent graduates only).
Summer Connect (on campus summer scheme)
- Applications are now closed for this year. We’ll be recruiting again next summer.
- Register your interest to join Summer Connect and we’ll email you when we begin recruiting volunteers.
Culture Connect (term-time scheme)
- We haven’t started recruiting yet for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Register your interest to join Culture Connect and we’ll email you soon when we begin recruiting volunteers.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you to Sheffield Hallam in September.
Do you have any questions about living and studying in Sheffield?
We offer a wide range of support services to help you prepare for travelling to Sheffield and settling into life in the UK. With the start of term a few months away, we would like to offer you the opportunity to sign up to our Student Connect scheme.
The scheme provides you with the opportunity to be matched with a student currently studying at Sheffield Hallam who can answer any questions you have about living and studying in Sheffield.
Discussion topics include
- what you should bring with you from home
- accommodation options and how far they are from campus
- travelling to the campus and around the city
- buying food and eating out
- what can you see and do in Sheffield
- how easy is it to make friends from around the world
- any other questions you have
How to apply for Student Connect?
To apply for the scheme, please complete the online form. The application deadline is Sunday 23 July 2017.
When you are matched with a student mentor you will both receive an email with each other’s contact details. You will both agree the best form of communication such as Skype, Facebook messenger or WhatsApp, and the best date and time to talk.
The scheme runs until September so you will have the opportunity to speak with your student mentor on several occasions before you arrive. On arrival, you will progress onto our Culture Connect scheme.
Please note places are limited. If you do not get a place on the Student Connect scheme, you are still eligible to sign up to our Culture Connect scheme when you arrive in September.
Join our summer online mentoring scheme (July – September) as a mentor!
Student Connect provides any incoming student with the opportunity to be matched with a student currently studying at Sheffield Hallam or a recent graduate, who can answer any questions they have about living and studying in Sheffield before they arrive at the University.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor for Student Connect, you do not need to be available on campus. You can provide individual mentoring support from your home town or country to up to five mentees (depending on the demand).
As a mentor, you must be positive, helpful and professional, as you are a representative for the University.
When you are matched, you will receive an email with their contact details. You’ll agree the best form of communication such as, Skype, Facebook messenger or WhatsApp, and the best date and time to talk with each mentee.
The scheme runs from July until September so you will have the opportunity to speak with your student mentees on several occasions before they arrive.
Discussion topics may include
• What they should bring with then from home
• accommodation options and how far they are from campus
• travelling to the campus and around the city
• buying food and eating out
• what they can see and do in Sheffield
• how easy it is to make friends from around the world
• and any other questions they have
At the end of the scheme certificates will be available for those who fill in a short evaluation form.
The deadline to apply is Sunday 23 July at https://sumac.ac.uk/account/sheffield-hallam-university/scheme/151 (for new members only) or https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3knUztz73iytBs1 (for previous Culture Connect members only).
Join our on campus mentoring scheme as a mentor and get a certificate!
Summer Connect provides face-to-face group mentoring support for our Pre-sessional English students (PS15 and PS10), to help them to settle into life in Sheffield whilst they are on campus over the summer. The scheme runs from July to the end of August.
About the Pre-sessional English students
These students are here to improve their English before starting their degree course. As the University is quieter over the summer, these students may have limited opportunities to meet the wider student body and feel a sense of belonging. These students are often shy and reluctant to use university support services. We’ve developed a mentoring scheme to provide them with extra support.
Recruitment and selection
Mentees are automatically signed up as part of their Pre-sessional English course. We are hoping to recruit about 72 mentors (including 19 Super Mentors) to support them. Mentors must be available on campus at set dates and times, as scheme activities are scheduled as part of their course.
Induction and training
As part of the selection process, you must attend a face-to-face induction. We will tell you more about your specific role and responsibilities at these events.
There are 19 Pre-sessional English class groups in total, with around 15 students per class. Staff will allocate 1 Super Mentor and 3 mentors to each class. To make mentoring groups, Super Mentors will randomly allocate 3-4 students to themselves, and to each mentor.
Each mentee will receive 3 mentoring sessions in their mentoring groups. These will take place in university classrooms on a Friday afternoon, as part of the Pre-sessional English course. One of the sessions will include playing SHUoply, a fun team game which involves exploring the University and support services with a chance to win a prize.
At the end of the scheme, there will be a debrief where mentors and Super Mentors support mentees to apply for Culture Connect in a computer room.
The role of Super Mentors
Super Mentors are students who have been part of one of our mentoring schemes before and have extra responsibilities. As staff cannot be present at each mentoring session, Super Mentors will be responsible for providing you with supervision and guidance. After meeting with your mentoring groups, you will meet with your Super Mentor and reflect on how things went. Super Mentors will then feedback to staff later on.
Super Mentors will also be responsible for delivering a 30 minute presentation about a specific topic to their class group as instructed by the International Experience Team.
Overview of schedule
Once the scheme starts, you must be available at these dates/times. More details about the scheme will be announced at your induction:
- Friday 14 July, 1.45-4pm – Mentoring session
- Friday 21 July, 1.45-4pm – Mentoring session
- Friday 28 July, 1.45-4pm – Mentoring session
- Friday 4 August, 1.45-4pm – Mentoring session
- Friday 11 August, 1.45-4pm – Conversation Club (optional to attend)
- Friday 18 August, 1.45-4pm – Mentoring session
- Friday 25 August, 1.45-4pm – Debrief
Feedback and celebration
Upon completion, you will fill out an evaluation form and get a certificate. You can add the experience to your CV and we are happy to provide job references upon request. By taking part in this scheme, you will also become eligible to apply for Hallam Award.
How to apply
- Register your details by Sunday 25 June at https://sumac.ac.uk/account/sheffield-hallam-university/scheme/234 (for new members only) or http://go.shu.ac.uk/summerprevious (for previous Culture Connect members only)
- Book onto an induction using the links to UniHub below and attend later on. You only need to attend one induction. Use your shuspace login details to access UniHub:
Monday 19 June – 1-3pm – Induction. Book at https://unihub.shu.ac.uk/students/events/detail/450916/summer-connect-induction
Wednesday 28 June – 2-4pm – Induction. Book at https://unihub.shu.ac.uk/students/events/detail/452759/summer-connect-induction
We’d like to warmly welcome all of our students to the SHU GoGlobal blog, whether you’re studying in Sheffield, or at one of our fantastic partnership institutions!
The International Experience Team will be on hand to update you with anything happening across our two campuses, as well as events and achievements from our friends in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Botswana and Malaysia! If you have anything that you’d like to see posted by us for our readers to see, then please do get in touch.
Our short tutorial on shuspace provides advice and guidance on how to do this. Don’t forget to log-in to shuspace to access it.
McGill University in Montreal in Canada are offering a 3 week summer school. This is non-credit bearing in a range of subject areas, for a fee.
Download their brochure to find out more.
- Go to shu.ac.uk/cultureconnect and scroll to the ‘Apply today!’ section and click on ‘Self-enrol’
- Access will be denied if you are not logged-in to shuspace. You can log-in by clicking the ‘Log In’ button
- Log-in to shuspace using your usual student username and password details
- After you’ve logged-in, self-enrol by clicking the ‘submit’ button
- Press the ‘OK’ button
- You should now be taken to the Culture Connect Blackboard site homepage. If this does not happen, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your student number and request to be manually enrolled.
- Via the Culture Connect Blackboard homepage, click ‘Culture Connect Online Application Form’.
- Then click on the ‘Open online application’ link
- You should now be able to view the online application. It is important that you follow all the instructions listed on t
he online application – and read all the information!
- When you get to the induction slide, click on ‘Book your induction on UniHub’.
- Log-in to UniHub using your usual student details
- If it’s your first time logging into UniHub, you will need to register your preferences first before you can see the inductions.
- Once you have stated your preferences, you will see the list of Culture Connect induction sessions available. Click on to the most convenient one.
- Click on the ‘Book in’ button.
- Go back to the Culture Connect Blackboard online application and continue to work through the sections by click the next arrow.
- When you get to the ‘Finalise your application section’, click on the intake you are applying for.
- You must now enter your personal details and partner preferences on SUMAC. Read the information carefully.
- Once you have entered your personal details and partner preferences, don’t forget to tick ‘I’m not a robot’ and press the ‘submit’ button. Only press it once!
- Wait a few minutes then check your inbox for an email confirmation (to the email address you registered with on SUMAC). Check all your personal details and preferences are correct. If you need to change anything, log-in to SUMAC following the instructions in the email.
If it’s not in your main inbox, check your junkmail. If you still can’t find it, email email@example.com with your student number and ask the Scheme Coordinator if she has received it. Do not submit another application.
- Congratulations! The only step now is to attend your Culture Connect induction in person, which you have already booked on UniHub.