SHU Catering Vlog Episode 3: Big Flavours, Small Budget
In this episode, SHU executive chef Darren Procter shares tips on how to make flavoursome meals on a small budget. Recipes include a Pea and Ham Casserole that can also be made into soup and tips on making that a vegetarian offer – as well as a quick and easy lentil chilli that offers big portions and flavours for a small cost.
Pea and Ham Casserole
500g of cooked ham
300ml of vegetable stock
Fresh parsley and a little of any other fresh green herb (Basil, sage, chive, oregano)
500g small potatoes
150g of frozen peas and/or broad beans
• Fry the onion with the ham until the onions are soft, then add the chopped herbs for about 30 seconds.
• Add the stock and the potatoes and cook until just soft, then remove around half the potatoes and cook the rest until you can break them up into the stock to thicken it.
• Add the peas and the retained potatoes, check the seasoning and serve.
2 x onions
4 x cloves of garlic
1 x leek
1 x chilli
2 tbsp. cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli powder and tomato puree 500g lentils (mix of green and red is fine)
800g chopped tinned tomatoes
1ltr vegetable stock
• Place the finely chopped onion, garlic, leek and chilli in a saucepan and fry for 5 minutes.
• Add the spices and dry herbs and fry for 2 minutes, then stir in the a splash of the vegetable stock.
• Add the chopped tomatoes, lentils and the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for around an hour and season as required, adding some chilli powder if you like it hotter.