|This resource is maintained by the Academic Development & Diversity Team. If you’d like to become a stakeholder and contribute to this resource, have a suggestion for content or just want to offer feedback, please let us know!|
Prior to attending one of our workshop activities
- Prepare and complete a brief Expression of Interest (EoI) for a hypothetical External Examining appointment and
- Bring three copies of your EoL to the workshop – you do not need to bring a CV
During the workshop you will receive Peer Feedback on your EoI. We don’t expect you to have a polished text – bullet points are fine: the purpose is to get feedback on your profile in relation to external examining. The exercise will help you to think about the range of experience you have that will be valuable and valued in an External Examining role.
Colleagues from the Academic Quality and Standards team will outline External Examining from the institution’s perspective. This will include an overview of the UK Quality Code’s requirements and how External Examining operates at Hallam:
Presented by: Lisa Kirkup, Quality Officer, AQS – March 2019
Handout: Created by AQS Team
Vimeo presented by: Leopold Green, Head of Quality AQS – June 2019
Content owner: AQS website
Contacts and further information.
- Academic Quality & Standards Team: staff External Examiner guidance.
- Academic Quality & Standards Team – externally facing Quality Framework guidance.
- If you have any questions relating to External Examiners, please email the External Examiners Inbox.
- Visit the UK Quality Code in Higher Education (QAA) web pages;
External Quality Environment.
Provides a brief overview of the External Quality Environment. It introduces the recent changes resulting from The Higher Education and Research Act 2017 (HERA). These have included the combining of the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and the Office for Fair Access (OFFA) into a single regulator – the Office for Students (OfS). The Act requires providers (e.g. Universities) to be on the Office for Students Register in order to have Degree Awarding Powers and to call themselves a University.
Part of the process of registration requires the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) to undertake a Quality and Standards Review (QSR) of all new providers. There is also potential for providers on the register to undergo a QSR if the Office for Students (OfS) monitoring of providers deems there to be a risk of the provider breaching ‘baselines’. One of the key sources of information QSR will use to assess these ‘baselines’ will be evidence from external examiners reports.
View from the field.
- An experienced External Examiner talks about their role and provides some key advice for aspiring EEs. The slides from this session are available here: Session 4 Reflections on the role.
- Visit our Case Studies page for content from an external examiners perspective.
- Advance HE – Fundamentals of External Examining – briefing document.
Moderation/Verification of Assessment & Mock Assessment Board.
Explores the core roles of the External Examiner. The Advance HE / HEA – Handbook for external examining proposes that the External Examiners role is both an external moderator and a critical friend with duties that embrace the following:
- ensuring the integrity, rigour and fairness of assessment procedures;
- assessing the standard of academic awards and student performance;
- commenting on the comparability of student performance and standard of awards of the institution in respect to their experience of other HE institutions;
- identifying good practice and providing advice for the enhancement of modules and programmes;
- assessing a programme’s approach to ‘fitness to practice’ (professional programmes).
Here, you will focus on what you, as an EE, would want to see in order to verify that the assessment instruments ‘are an effective means of assessing a module learning outcomes’. It also gives participants an opportunity to review the type of data presented at an assessment board, draw some inferences and consider what you might want to comment on in your EE report.
External Examiners Forum: The External Examiners JISCM@il is a useful discussion forum and provides a list of external examiner vacancies.
- Take a look at our academic resources relating to the Assessment and Feedback Journey.
- Take a look at our Regulations, Policies, Procedures for staff and students overview which covers assessment regulations.
|Last updated: 26th May 2021 NB|