The Transformative Learning Special Interest Group has generated the following Frequently Asked Questions about TL and is working through these questions as a basis for co-operative engagement. The questions are organised under six headings.
Members of the SIG are using this Google Form to answer the questions and you are invited to contribute your own thoughts to any or all of the questions too. These will be synthesised and presented here. (Nb. This activity is being conducted during Semester 2 2017/18) and the synthesis will be posted here by June 2018).
About Transformative Learning
- Is it best to think of Transformative Learning as a philosophy or a methodology?
- How does the institution’s stated ambition of ‘transforming lives’ relate to the theory, principles, and practices of Transformative Learning?
Getting started with Transformative Learning
- Can I adopt Transformative Learning incrementally? If so, where do I start?
- Can Transformative Learning be used in any discipline? What conditions need to be in place?
Engaging students in Transformative Learning
- How can Transformative Learning be used to engage all students in class?
- What is the best way of introducing Transformative Learning to students? What are the key messages I should convey and at what stage – e.g. induction, in APA meetings etc?
- Transformative Learning is a journey – how do we communicate this to our students and ensure they focus on enjoying the journey?
Assessing Transformative Learning
- What types of learning outcome does Transformative Learning address best?
- What assessment methods work for Transformative Learning?
Scalability and course consistency in the use of Transformative Learning
- How can staff ensure that students are supported in ‘transformation’ when large groups of students might be taught by lots of different people?
- Can I use Transformative Learning if my colleagues aren’t using it? How?
This page is part of the Transformative Learning Toolkit in the Learner Engagement Teaching Essentials site