Sheffield Hallam Law students visit Magic Circle law firm!

Law students, Ellie Wilson and Ryan Wheatley, recently attended the Clifford Chance Open Day as part of the University Alliance programme.  These are their thoughts on the day:

EllieAfter my train being cancelled and a busy morning running around London trying to find the office I finally arrived at Clifford Chance. The graduate team were very friendly and made us feel very welcome with a lovely breakfast whilst we got to know each other. Our first session involved a talk from one of the partners about the firm and her career. This gave us an idea about the work that Clifford Chance do day to day and the successful clients that they work with. The graduate recruitment team then talked us through the application process and gave us some advice about applying for training contracts. Following this we enjoyed a networking lunch with the firm’s trainees and chatted to the head of graduate talent about the do’s and don’ts of the application process. After a tour of the office we learnt about the process of an international transaction and we had a seminar about the process of mergers and acquisitions. Going to the open day gave me a better understanding of how a commercial law firm works and gave me an insight into how commercial law works in practice. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to visit a magic circle law firm.

Ryan – The day began with a tour of the Clifford Chance head office in Canary Wharf London, there were approximately twenty people in attendance from different universities. The day was very well structured and very informative, we were welcomed by a senior partner and member of the graduate recruitment day who ran through the basics of the firm and what they looked for in terms of recruitment and progression of trainees. Following this, there was a very useful networking session with current trainees of Clifford chance, they were more than happy to ask about us and inform us on how to make the best of the application process. I was particularly impressed with how interested the current trainees were with participants of such days and were more than happy to pass on contact details and tips for applications, not only at Clifford Chance, but at any firm. The day resulted with a workshop focusing on the timeline of an acquisition process which was very interesting and gave an insight to the law in which they specialise. Overall the day was very informative and interesting, and I would recommend this sort of experience to anyone with the opportunity.