Flying the Flag for Sheffield Hallam students down south

Diversity Careers Show – 7th October 2016, London

By Karen Allan – Employment Advisorkaren allan

I was looking forward to my day trip to London.  Conferences can sometimes be a little too prescriptive in terms of what you have to sit through. What is new information for one person is not necessarily ground breaking for another. Careers Fairs are another matter. Employer’s representatives are there and although there is often a theme, they are generally open for any questions you wish to ask. Students get your questions ready when employers attend the Careers Fairs here at Sheffield Hallam.

I was travelling to London to talk with the exhibitors at the Diversity Careers Show in Islington. These employers were promoting their jobs and internships and keen to encourage students from all backgrounds to apply. Sheffield Hallam is the fourth largest university in the UK with students from a variety of social backgrounds, cultures and ethnicity. Twelve percent of our students have declared a disability and we offer one of the largest varieties of courses in the UK. Armed with these facts I was all set to start promoting our students.

Here is a snapshot of what I found out.

Are you intelligent enough for the intelligence service?

Of course you are. Did you know that the intelligence services MI5 and MI6 along with GCHQ want to recruit 1000 people this year? Applicants need a minimum 2:2. It turned out that the person I was talking to was ex-Sheffield Hallam and graduated in 2011. Of course I wasn’t allowed to know her identity being the secret service and all…

Is money more your thing?

The Bank of England has a number of opportunities for first years all the way through to graduate roles in IT business and finance. You need 300 UCAS points in total and Vicky is waiting for your applications: www.bankofenglandearlycareers.co.uk

HeathrowThe National Audit Office was promoting their positive action eight-week internship for students from minority ethnic groups and lower income families HRServiceDesk@nao.gsi.gov.uk This will be running next summer and they are taking enquiries now.

Many companies at the Diversity careers show have support groups in the work place for specific groups – LGTB, BAME. Although some companies were promoting specific positive action programmes the majority were encouraging people to apply to their regular graduate / internship opportunities.

Talking about flying the flag… Heathrow Airport was on stand-by. Sophie, (pictured here) was interested in the range of courses and diverse student population at Hallam.I may have convinced her to come to the Tourism careers fair here in November. She is keen to hear from you in any case. They are continually recruiting and have an internship and future leaders programme. http://careers.heathrow.com/emerging-talent

Although I cannot write about everyone I talked to I will make sure the careers information gained is entered onto the Careers Central website. I also managed to get a few exhibitors to speak to camera (although some did have to help me with the IPad settings!) Here are some of the other companies who want to hear from Sheffield Hallam students:

Rolls Royce PLC:

Law firm Berwin, Leighton Paisner: This recruiter worked at Irwin Mitchell in Sheffield for seven years and has fond memories of the city. Watch the video below.

Whitbread: They will be here at the Hospitality / Tourism / Food and Events fair on the 2nd November. Watch the video below.

Viacom: Who doesn’t want to work for Channel 5. MTV, Comedy Central to name just a few brands. Internships will be advertised in the New Year. George on the video is waiting for your application: http://www.viacomcareers.com

Coca Cola, Land Lease, GSK, MOD Police and Bloomberg all asked me to encourage you to apply.

You may have gathered that I do like to talk although I couldn’t speak to everyone that day. The full list of exhibitors is listed on the website link below. I have invited these companies to Sheffield Hallam and after hearing all about you I am sure many of them will come.

With tired feet and a dry throat I headed back to Sheffield…

http://www.diversitycareersshow.com/exhibitors-2016.html

k.allan@shu.ac.uk