My time working for Careers and Employability

Olivia – our second year Psychology placement student – has written her final post for us.

We’re already half way through March and I can’t believe my placement is nearly over! During the seven weeks that I’ve been here I’ve experienced so much it’s hard to sum it up in this one blog post. I’ve witnessed an entire week of creativity happening around me. I’ve been involved in successful part-time jobs fairs both at City and Collegiate. At the University’s Mental Health and Wellbeing Day I was fortunate enough to meet loads of companies relevant to jobs that I’m interested in. Only last week I was involved in the organisation of celebrating International Women’s Day which couldn’t have gone any better! Listening to inspirational women talk about their success in careers, which are typically male dominated, was extremely interesting and thought-provoking.

olivia

During my time here I have worked on many aspects of social media, ranging from promotion of events on twitter, creating a campus jobs group on LinkedIn, and producing a short video summary of the Creative Careers Week for Facebook. On a similar note, the videoing didn’t just stop there! In a hope to encourage more students to visit City Campus, so as to not miss out on some of the great opportunities, a colleague and I created a short video to demonstrate just how quick and easy the journey from Collegiate is.

Within my time at the Careers and Employability Centre I was able to complete two small projects. One of which was a spreadsheet and information pack on what psychometric tests are, and what psychometric tests are used by different companies. This will hopefully be useful for future students to use as a way of familiarising themselves with what may be expected of them when applying for specific jobs. Another project I worked on throughout my time here involved thinking of ways to gain feedback from students who don’t utilise the Careers and Employability Service. I wanted to know why this was and ways students believe the Careers Service could be improved. I was able to send a questionnaire to a list of students who haven’t used the Careers and Employability Service and gain useful feedback that way.

centreFurthermore, another part of the placement I particularly enjoyed doing was helping with practice interviews and observing student consultations and business advisor meetings. This really allowed me to interact with the students and gain first-hand experience of just some of the day-to-day jobs the Careers Consultants and Advisers do.

Overall, it has been a fantastic experience with so many things happening at all times. I have been privileged enough to work in an amazing team with some truly wonderful people!