Two of the biggest careers events of the year are happening this week, with the Engineering and Technology Fair on Tuesday 4 November, and the Business, Finance and Language Fair on Wednesday 5 November. You might be wondering what happens at a careers fair, and what you might get out of attending.
The fairs are held at The Octagon Centre at the University of Sheffield, and are run by both universities in partnership. On the day, the Octagon will be packed with employers offering graduate jobs, schemes, and placements. Many employers will have recent graduates at their stand, who can talk to you first-hand about their experience with the organisation, and maybe give you tips on how to be successful during the recruitment process. Careers fairs are very busy, and can be a bit daunting. However, just remember that the employers are there to meet you, and they are keen to talk to students who are interested in them and the careers they offer.
The key website for the fairs is http://www.sheffieldcareersfairs.ac.uk/ which provides:
- Lists of employers and organisations attending
- Tips on how to prepare
- Specific information for international students, and post-graduate and research students
- My Scheduler tool – to help you organise yourself, and make the most out of the fair
Key top tips are:
- Prepare beforehand – have a look at who is attending, select who you want to talk to, research their company and what they are offering, prepare your questions
- Use the event effectively – it can be tempting to walk round, avoiding eye-contact, and filling a bag with freebies, but this would be wasting a brilliant opportunity!
- Make an impression – employers will remember the students they speak to who are engaged, positive and prepared
The Careers and Employment Service will have a stand at both fairs – come and talk to us if you have any questions, or need a bit of a morale-boost before launching into the fair!
How can I get there?
Free shuttle buses will be running from Arundel Gate (the bus stop next to Hallam Square) at: