We have secured investment from the Hallam Fund to launch a Researcher Led Activities Fund – this scheme provides funding for students to organise activities that support the professional development and wellbeing of PGRs, and help (re)build the doctoral community. We would therefore like to invite PGR students to submit applications, of up to £500, to the fund.
Further information about the eligibility criteria is below:
- To allow doctoral researchers to be involved in designing the programme of activities available to PGRs at Sheffield Hallam
- To facilitate doctoral researchers to develop and deliver interdisciplinary activities for the benefit of other Sheffield Hallam doctoral researchers
- To support the professional development and/ or wellbeing of doctoral researchers through growth and development of the doctoral community
Who can apply
All doctoral students enrolled at Sheffield Hallam who will not have had their viva by the date of the activity or event can apply. Students may apply to the fund as individuals or as a group, and we particularly welcome applications from groups that include representation from different academic disciplines and from part-time students and other groups who are less able to access the campus.
Activities the fund will support
Activities should not duplicate existing Research Institute or doctoral school provision and must be for researchers across different disciplines.
Examples of activities that could be eligible:
- social / networking / community-building events
- training or development (not duplicating existing provision)
- seminars or conferences
- journal clubs or reading groups
- careers events
- public engagement activities
Activities which are not eligible for funding
Funding cannot be used for:
- travel, conference attendance or to support individuals to attend training
- costs associated with research projects or studies
- staff costs, salaries or payments to students
Additionally, activities must be interdisciplinary – activities which are aimed at a single Research Centre/Institute or discipline area cannot be supported.
Up to a maximum of £500
Closing date – 1700 Friday 17 March 2023
Applications may be considered after the closing date if any of the fund remains unallocated. Please contact the Doctoral School after the closing date to see whether applications are being accepted.
How to apply
We recommend that you discuss your ideas with your supervisor(s) and local PGR teams. Applications will be considered by the Doctoral Training Group (comprising the Head of Doctoral Training, Heads of Research Degrees, and Doctoral School colleagues) and the Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO).
The application form should be completed online by 1700 on Friday 17 March 2023.
Decisions will be communicated within three weeks of the call deadline.
As funds are limited, we will not be able to support all applications. Priority will be given to those which the panel judges will have the greatest impact in terms of:
- enhancing doctoral skills in line with the Researcher Development Framework OR promoting interdisciplinary connections OR supporting the wellbeing of doctoral researchers
- complementing existing Research Institute and doctoral school provision, offering additional activities that would not otherwise take place
Activities must take place before 30 June 2023.
We will ask all recipients of funding to provide a written summary and evaluation which will be posted on the doctoral school blog to share good practice and learning. This information will also be shared with DARO for activities supported by the Hallam Fund.
Please refer to this Sample application form for an indication of the information you will be asked to provide on the application form. Your application must be submitted online, please don’t use the sample form.