We have been advised that the University of Edinburgh has announced the second run of its online course for research students and research staff has opened for bookings.  Called Career Management for Early Career Academic Researchers it aims to support researchers to explore their career options and make career plans.  More than 1000 research students and research staff from across the UK and beyond engaged with the first course in March.  Previous participants have said:

This course has been fantastic, particularly as I am at a stage where I am finishing my PhD and was worrying about what comes next. I didn’t realise a lot of the things about academic and non-academic career paths, and have found the self reflection tasks invaluable.

The course is impeccably designed, perfectly structured and neatly organised.

My motivation to take control of finding my future career has increased exponentially from the day I started this course.

As before, through a series of articles, videos, discussions, and reflective exercises, researchers will be encouraged to consider what they want out of a career; to explore the academic career path and many other career options; and to increase their confidence in job search and applications.

The MOOC is a collaboration between the University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, and University of Sheffield, and has been developed by careers professionals who are experienced in working with research students and research staff.

It’s a free online course and open to research students and early career research staff at any institution in the UK and beyond.  It may be particularly useful for researchers who are unable to access any on-campus support offered due to other commitments, or for researchers in institutions that are unable to offer any dedicated careers support to these groups.

The course will start on 4 June but for more information and sign up details go to:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/career-management