From Monday 15 October you will no longer need to use SHURA to deposit your research. Instead you will use Elements. Elements is the new user-friendly way to deposit your publications and other research outputs. Elements will pass your deposits on to other systems, including SHURA and your staff profile on the external web pages. All staff and research degree students will have access to Elements.
What should I do now?
Book onto a session
You can choose from several sessions each day starting on Monday 15 October to the end of December. The sessions help you to set up your account on the system; tweak the automated searches in external databases such as Scopus and the Web of Science so that the system automatically finds your work; and to ensure your publications lists are correct and complete, ready for display on your staff profile on the external web pages. If you are unable to make any of the sessions, you will instead be able to find help materials from Monday 15 October on the Library Research Support team’s website.
What will Elements allow me to do?
- Enter your publications and other research outputs only once, into only one system
- Your publications are pushed out from Elements into
- SHURA (which will remain as the external facing website to access Hallam research)
- your staff profile on the external web pages (you can choose which outputs should be displayed on your profile, and which are your favourites and should be displayed at the top of your list of publications)
- Academ (if you are in the Business School)
- Elements links with Converis so that research outputs can easily be associated with corresponding funding
- Using the new system to register all your intellectual contributions helps you to showcase your work properly on your staff profile on the external website
- Adding your final peer reviewed manuscript to Elements helps you
- to increase the reach of your work e.g. downloads, reads and citations
- with compliance with your funders’ policies and the SHU Open Access policy
- and with eligibility and visibility of your outputs for the next Research Excellence Framework (REF)
Please note that to be eligible for the next REF, you will still need to make sure that you deposit your final peer reviewed manuscript in Elements within 3 months of acceptance. You will only need to give a very minimal amount of information when you do so.