Training & development
Here we provide information and guidance on training and development opportunities for our course leader community:
- Interested in becoming a Course Leader?
- Interested in sharing your practice as a Course Leader?
- Academic and Professional Development
- Guidance, support and information
Interested in becoming Course Leader?
There are many pathways that can help you become a course leader. Visit the Academic Essentials: academic induction, careers and work-planning – provides an overview of being new to academic leadership and how we support our course leaders in providing work-planning hours.
We expect colleagues that have been identified as taking on the lead of a course to complete one of our course leader induction sessions. Aimed at course leaders who are;
- New to the role.
- Have been undertaking the role within the last 12 months.
- Are interested in becoming a course leader – career progression.
- Existing course leader and want to refresh their development and skills.
Our usual course leader induction sessions take place June/July and January, in readiness for the new Semester starts. However, we know that changes in course leadership can happen at any time so feel free to contact the Academic Development & Diversity Team to arrange your bespoke course leader induction session.
Visit the events and activities page for details of any upcoming events and access to a wide range of past induction session materials.
Interested in sharing your practice as a Course Leader?
We host an annual Course Leader Fest, a networking event to provide opportunities to engage with fellow course leaders from across the Colleges/ Departments and share best practice. We are supported by a range of colleagues from both the academic as well as the professional services community that support course and module delivery. Our Fest is usually held in June/July each year and details will be posted up on our events and activities page as well as access to recordings and resources from previous events.
Academic and Professional Development
Visit the Academic Development and Events page to see a host of events and activities that are focused on themes that aim to develop you and your course/module. You can also see further information about:
- Developing course and module guidance materials – visit Academic Essentials: support for course and module design and delivery for more details.
- Personal and professional development planning (PPDP) – visit Academic Essentials: support for course and module design and delivery for more details.
Academic Advisers (AAs)
You may also be interested to see the range of training and development and events and activities that are offered to our AA colleagues. Engagement with these may help you understand the work the AAs do and their aims to support our students, your course leader role and your course delivery.
TALENT – professional recognition scheme
- Advance HE Fellowship (Associate, Fellow and Senior Fellow) through our accredited TALENT scheme
- Principal Fellowship direct to Advance HE
- National Teaching Fellowship (NTF) awards and the Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence (CATE) through Advance HE
Guidance, support and information
Visit our guidance, support and information page for a wide range of resources to help you through course design, delivery and assessment.
|If you have any queries about this page, please contact the Academic Development & Diversity Team. Last updated: 26th April 2021 – NB|