Charles Street

Building Information Guide for Charles Street.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who will be occupying the building?

A. The Sheffield Institute of Education are the main occupants along with the associated professional services staff. There will also be Facilities Directorate staff.

Q. What will the opening hours and out of hours arrangements be for the new building?

A. 7.30am – 9pm Mon – Fri  and weekends by arrangement.

Q. What will be the address of the building?

A. Charles St building, Charles St, Sheffield, S1 2NH

Q. Will there be enough lifts and toilets?

A. These are always calculated based on the occupancy and usage of the building. There are four lifts in the design. There are male/female and accessible toilets on each floor.

The Building

Q. What will the new offices look like, how will they be laid out?

A. Furniture layouts of the offices can be found on the furniture layouts page.

Q. How often will the building be cleaned?

A. The Domestic Manual covers everything from daily routine, to quality checks, to how specific surfaces are cleaned and contact numbers for Facilities Management and can be found on the BIG here.

Q. How will I get my post?

A. A designated location will serve as the delivery and collection point for all post and the existing process will apply. There will be pigeon holes in 12.01.10 for dissemination.

Q. Will the windows open?

A. There will be numerous opening windows. Windows in the building will be controlled by security/operations – staff and students won’t be able to freely open these as it will impair the functionality of the building’s heating and cooling system

Q. Will there be a good flow of air through all parts of the office space?

A. Air ventilation will be provided via the underfloor plenum and delivered into the space through floor grilles. These will be fairly evenly spaced throughout the office spaces while matching in with the furniture layouts.

Q. Will the room temperature be the same in the different areas of the office?

A. This is fairly difficult to answer. There is bound to be a slight difference in temperature across the office. When in cooling mode the temperature should be quite uniform, as there is a regular spread of chilled beams. When the space requires heat this will be provided via the trench heating located around the perimeter of the room. Some people located adjacent the trench heating may be slightly warmer than others located in the centre of the office, but on the whole the temperature should be fairly uniform.

Q. Where are the sources of natural light and will there be natural light in all parts of the office space?

A. There will be natural light to the majority of the spaces from windows in the external walls.

Q. Where will I be sat?

A. This will be arranged through your department and will be communicated to you once finalised.

Q. Will everyone be able to see out of a window?

A. This will depend on the final furniture solution. The heights of screens and storage may mean that some desks receive more light or have better views than others.

Q. How have furniture designs and layouts being developed?

A. A furniture design consultancy was employed to ensure the most practicable solution can be developed. From these designs several working groups agreed layouts for the various areas. The Faculty has set up a new build consultation group to work with the designers to ensure the furniture designs are appropriate. The members of the group will consult with wider staff groups, bring the feedback back in for discussion, and make decisions on solutions.

Q. Can I keep my own furniture?

A. Only if you have been provided with a specialist chair or other items as part of your DSE assessment, then arrangements will be made to transfer this to the new location.

Q.Will the larger office spaces be noisy?

A.This will depend on the people in there and the adoption of protocols to help minimise the amount of noise produced. The Head of Area group will develop these. We all expect certain standards of professionalism at work. If you have any specific concerns about the conduct of colleagues which you feel unable to resolve with them directly, you should raise the issue with their line manager.

Q. Will there be restrictions on eating and drinking within the office?

A. The protocols around the use of the new spaces and facilities should clarify this.

Q. Where can I hang my coat?

A. Freestanding coat hooks will be provided in all staff offices.

Q. How will I book a meeting room?

A. Through Web Room Bookings, please find more information via the Rooms and Spaces section.

Q. Will there be rooms for private meetings with students?

A. Yes. There are numerous meeting rooms throughout the building.


Q. What facilities will be available in the staff kitchen areas?

A. Final facilities are still to be confirmed but expect:

Plumbed in boiling water heater and chilled water (no kettle)



Sink and drainer

Storage cupboards


Seating and tables

Q. What provision is there for cycle parking?

A. There will be 16 space bike racks available on Charles Street.


Q. I have had changes made to my current workstation as part of a Display Screen Equipment assessment. What will happen to these in the new build?

A. Once staff have relocated then they will all be asked to undertake a DSE. This is standard policy when staff move to ensure that adjustments can be made. If you already have some specialist equipment then it will relocate with you but you will still need to undertake a DSE to ensure the workstation adjustments are still appropriate.

Q. How will printing be provisioned?

A. Multi-functional devices (MFD’s) will be used for all staff printing. Local printers will not be provided. The University has a print copy strategy that has helped to shape the provision. The MFD’s will be networked so that they can be used for photocopying and scanning as well. Follow Me printing is now in place allowing you to use any MFD. Further details can be found here.

Q. What A/V provision will be in meeting rooms?

A. Details on the A/V provision for meeting rooms can be found by visiting the AV in Meeting Rooms page.

Q. What IT will be provided on my work station?

A. Academic staff should have now been issued a laptop, Professional Services staff will maintain their current provision.

Q. Will my phone number change?

A. No, if you already have a dedicated telephone number this will not change.

Flexible Working Arrangements

Q. I’ve heard talk of hot-desking and new ways of working in the new design. Is this true?

A. Staff will not be expected to hotdesk and all layouts will have enough desks to provide a desk per person. AL’s and fractional contract staff will be expected to share desks if necessary, as is current practice. New ways of working is about recognising that the design will mean that some existing practices will have to change.


Q. When will the move take place?

A. There is a Planning Group currently working up the move schedules and associated works. These will be communicated when finalised.  The faculty is looking at the most appropriate timeslot to minimise the impact on the start of term.

Q. Who is my move coordinator?

A. Robert Jenkinson is the Accommodation Projects Officer

Q. What will I need to do before the relocation?

A. You will need to pack your own belongings. Please think about what you need to take to the new building. There will be a schedule created whereby crates will be made available for you to pack your belongings into to keep then secure while the move is taking place.  If you fall outside these arrangements please contact Robert Jenkinson

 Q. I’m out on self-managed learning either before the relocation happens or when the relocation has taken place – what will I need to do?

A. Please ensure that you make Robert Jenkinson aware of this so arrangements can be made to place your goods in storage if necessary.

Q. When will I know where I am sitting?

A. When the furniture layouts are fixed then staff can be allocated a desk. There are several ways of doing this and the Heads of Area group will undertake this in the way they feel most appropriate for their areas.

Q. Can you clarify the furniture provision?

A. The University has developed standards for the allocation of furniture. If you have more material than can be accommodated within this allocation you need to start looking at whether you need to keep everything and what material can be archived. Guidance on what material needs to be archived, stored or disposed of can be found on the intranet.

Q. We will need somewhere to securely store research data. What facilities are there?

A. If possible all long term storage requirements should be in the University provided archive, see here for details. As part of the furniture design it may be decided to allocate some of the storage provision for research data.

Q. Will there be orientation sessions to show me round the new building?

A. We are aiming to have orientation sessions once we can occupy the building along with an induction pack detailing the space. Prior to that we aim to show staff around during the final stage of construction to give an outline of the space in preparation for the move.

Q. How many crates will be provided with for the relocation?

A. Academic staff will receive six packing crates, Professional Services staff will receive two packing crates.

Q. How will my stuff be moved?

A. At least one week before you are due to be moved crates will be delivered to your office. On the move date these crates will be moved for you to the new location.

Q. How will they know it is mine?

A. We ask that you label all crates with your name and destination. Make sure when you fill your crates that they have been correctly labelled and can be stacked easily. If you have any queries please contact Rob Jenkinson

Q. How much storage space will there be for my things?

There will be reduced amounts of storage space in new offices and restrictions on archiving, it is therefore essential that you start to think about reducing the material you keep. Large blue bins will be provided before you move for the disposal of non-confidential material. These will be emptied regularly.

Q. How can I dispose of confidential waste?

A. Confidential waste sacks are available from Departmental Administrators.  These will be collected for disposal by the Porters on contacting the SHU Helpdesk on ext 4444.


Q. What environmental targets do we have for the building?

A.  We are targeting the building to be *BREEAM Very Good.

*BREEAM stands for Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method for buildings. It is the world’s foremost environmental assessment method and rating system for buildings, with 425,000 buildings with certified BREEAM assessment ratings and two million registered for assessment since it was first launched in 1990.

The measures used represent a broad range of categories and criteria from energy to ecology. They include aspects related to energy and water use, the internal environment (health and well-being), pollution, transport, materials, waste, ecology and management processes.


Q. What provision is there for disabled access?

A. The building is designed to be DDA compliant.

Accessible Toilets are available on all floors.  An Accessible shower is located on the ground floor.

The main entrances have ramp access and there is also a lift, which goes to all floors. The lecture theatre has been designed as an accessible space with ramp access from front and rear. Seats can be removed from the front of the lecture theatre to accommodate wheelchairs.

Further information and contact points

Q. How do I make comments or ask questions about the building?

A. Raise them with your Head of Area. They will be able to answer or if not pass onto someone who can.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.