8 Lab4Living PhD studentships announced
Lab4Living is pleased to announce 8 new PD studentships in Art and Design.
We invite PhD applications from candidates interested in joining Lab4Living: a design led interdisciplinary research group at Sheffield Hallam University, recognised for its world-leading research in design for health and award-winning products and interventions that positively impact on people’s lives. Lab4Living has secured national funding to build the next generation of design research leaders in this field.
The award makes provision for eight full-time PhD studentships to support design led research projects that explore the 100 year life, with a particular focus on the Future Home.
One in three children born in the UK today can expect to live to be 100 and by 2066 one in two children will reach this milestone (ONS 2018). This opens up a critically important research space for creative practitioners and designers across the fields of industrial design, fashion, graphics, film media and creative practice to respond to such questions as:
- What does this expanded life-span mean in relation to where and how people live, the clothes they wear and the products they use?
- What is the role of design in understanding and re-envisioning the ageing process?
- How can multi-sectorial groups of stakeholders (such as design, business and manufacturing sectors) work together on these challenges?
- What are the implications of shifting models of health and care to the community and what does this mean in terms of the home?
We invite research proposals from candidates who are interested in exploring this research space.
“We are thrilled to have this opportunity to expand our team and to see how this exciting area will continue to flourish and grow.” Dr Claire Craig – Co-Director, Lab4Living
- Studentships are open to UK/EU applicants only who intend to register for full-time study
- Applicants need a good honours degree (at least a high 2:1) in a relevant subject and ideally will have or expect to receive a relevant Masters-level qualification.
How to apply
Full details about the application process are here.
For queries about the application process please email our postgraduate admin team.
For information about the PhD programme please contact Dr Becky Shaw.
More information about Lab4Living and the Design4Health conferences is at lab4living.org.uk