Researcher Blog by Sonya Robinson of SOLAR: Walking at the Speed of Light #2 Thank You

Image credit: Sonya Robinson, SHU

About the author

Sonya Robinson is Senior Lecturer in Photography and a founder member of the Walking Arts Research Group in Media Arts.

In this post, Sonya discusses her contribution to the walking / art / app project SOLAR: Walking at the Speed of Light.

Solar Exhibition, SIA Gallery

Thank you to all of you who attended the Private View of Solar – Walking at the Speed of Light on Tuesday 14th March. It was a great success with excellent feedback on individual works and the show as a whole.

The Walking Arts Research Group has given me the opportunity to develop my practice and to establish links with fellow practitioners at SHU opening-up cross-disciplinary dialogue.
Solar exhibition, SIA Gallery
Solar Exhibition, SIA Gallery

The Solar project has allowed me to extend my practice in a way that I would not have conceived, challenging my working methodology including working in the studio.

Dissemblance and figuration as conceptual and aesthetic strategies have driven my practice and my response to ‘Venus’ worked within this framework.
Solar Exhibition, SIA Gallery
Solar Exhibition, SIA Gallery

Venus has the slowest rotation of all the planets rending beauty still. Dissolution of form represents the loss, (that pulls like a gravitational force), central in the desire for beauty and permanence.

Please note: Views expressed are those of the Author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of SHU, C3RI or the C3RI Impact Blog.