This post aims to give you an overview of what group assignments are, how you can set them up and what guidance you can have to students submitting to them.
How do I set up Group Assignments?
Before You Begin
- You need to have first set up student groups. More information on how to do this can be found on http://telhelp.shu.ac.uk/setting-up-student-groups.
- Make sure you have set up all the groups correctly before setting the assignment.
How to Create a Group Assignment
- Go to the content area you would like to create the assignment in. On the top bar click Create Assessment, then Assignment.
- On the Create Assignment page, give details about the assignment and choose a name. It is useful to state the differences between a group and normal assignment to the students to avoid confusion. (see Guidance for students)
- Select the assignment Due Date.
- In the Grading section, type the Points Possible for the assignment, this is usually 100. Also associate a rubric if needed, and select:
- Group Submission: In the Items to Select box, select the group or groups. Click the right-pointing arrow to move the selection into the Selected Items box. For Windows, to select multiple groups in a row, press and hold the Shift key and click each group. To select groups out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and click each group. For Macs, press the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also select all groups with the Select All function.
- Make the assignment available.
- Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions do not affect availability, only when the assignment appears.
- Click Submit.
Guidance for Students
Here is some useful information which you could post into the assignment details to explain to students what is expected from them for group assignments.
Submit your group assignment here. Only ONE member of the group needs to submit on behalf of the entire group. You can attach multiple files between members by saving as a draft before submitting. One person will need to submit before the deadline. Make sure all the files needed for submission have been attached. Each group member will receive an assignment receipt for the submission. The individual grade may differ for the assignment, but the feedback will be the same across the entire group.