8 of our Engineering students have been successful in winning an Engineering and Design Travel Award.
Sponsored by The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire, the awards help students fund travel, normally outside of the UK, in pursuit of an activity or project which will expand their knowledge and experience by direct contact with companies or organisations.
With eight travel award prizes of £500 and ten cash prizes of £50 on offer, the competition was strong, with applicants having to submit a written outline including the aims and objectives of their proposed visit, as well as attend an interview.
The 5 STA winners of the £500 travel award were;
– Jay Leak, Automotive Engineering. Jay is on his placement year at Pirelli Tyres in Burton, and is using the travel award to visit the Pirelli factory in Settimo Torinese, Italy.
– Dominic Beatson, Mechanical Engineering. Dominic is undertaking his industrial placement year at Rolls-Royce, and plans on using his travel award to visit the Rolls-Royce joint venture XRA, in Xi’an, China.
– Amardeep Singh, Automotive Engineering. Amardeep is currently on his placement year with Jaguar Land Rover, and will use his travel award to observe Jaguar Land Rover’s newest plant in Nitra, Slovakia.
– Liam Downing, Mechanical Engineering. Liam is undertaking his placement year with Bosch Thermotechnology Group, and will travel to one of the Bosch plants in Germany or France to observe their current processes, with his travel award.
– Alexander O’Brien, Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Alexander is spending his placement year with TBG Solutions Barlborough, and will use the travel award to observe the rapidly growing automated test, measurement, and control industry within South East Asia, at Trinergy Instrument, Bangkok.
The 3 STA winners of the £50 cash prize were;
– Jennifer Jones, Aerospace Engineering
– Thomas Hudson, Aerospace Engineering
– Benjamin Pamment, Aerospace Engineering
A huge congratulations to all of our winners, we wish them every success with the remainder of their placements and courses.